Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bird Thought - What I feed

I feed a quality seed base with pellets free fed to some pairs.  Pellets are my "vitamin supplement".  Some pairs don't get pellets (or get limited amounts of pellets) as pellets have been linked to health problems in some birds such a eclectus and mutation parrotlets.

I also feed the following "mash" every day.  In addition to the "mash", seed, and pellets I feed as treats and enrichment whatever interesting thing happens to be at the store at the time - grapes, cantaloupes, strawberries, cactus pads, etc.  Try your ethnic food store for some REALLY interesting fresh produce.

This "mash" is what I feed my birds.  If you only have one or a few pet birds, this is probably too time consuming and a hassle to deal with.  With only a few birds it would work better for you to integrate the bird diet into your routine:  Integrate him into YOUR lifestyle

Small Birds:
(Finches, Bourke Parakeets, Cockatiels, Parrotlets, White-Winged Parakeets)
Broccoli
Carrots
Apples
  
Cook Mix - Raw
Cook Mix - After Cooking
  
Cook Mix

Sprouts
How to sprout: Sprouting

Sprouts
  
Complete and ready to feed.
Large Birds:
(African Greys, Eclectus, Rosellas, Conures, Indian Ringnecks) 
Broccoli - Coarse Chopped
  
Carrots - Coarse Chopped
  
Apples - Coarse Chopped
Cooked Mix
  
Cooked Mix
  
Fruit Cocktail - No Sugar Added
**This is occasionally used.  The eclectus like it. 
Sprouts
How to Sprout: Sprouting
  
Sprouts

Complete and Ready to Feed

3 comments:

  1. I'm sooo happy to see a post about bird food! Looks great! What is the cookable food you offer? Is it a mix you made yourself or is it a packaged mix? Looks a bit like Bird Street Bistro and I am wondering if that is what it is.

    Hm, now that I've gone through my food pictures I realize it does not look like either of the Bird Street Bistro flavors I have tried. Crazy Corn? Worldy Cuisines? I'm starting to think it is your own magical creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how it's gonna sound; but I had no idea you have Eclectus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I wanted to let you know I got the Bean Pasta, cooked it up for them to have for dinner last night, and they loved it! The parakeets threw it all over the cage as they ate it, which is an activity they save for their favorite foods. Even picky Malachite ate some! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete