Friday, March 11, 2011

Bird Tip - Sprouting

Sprouts are super nutritious and it's great for birds that refuse to eat anything but seed since it looks like seed to them.  It sounds complicated, but it's really not once you have it down.
I sprout with no special equipment.  I use ordinary household sieves and plastic storage containers.

For my larger birds-conures, african greys, eclectus, ringnecks:
 
Sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, green peas, barley.
Use any plastic food storage container.
Pick out all the broken pieces and "junk"
 Cover with water.  Soak about 8 hours or overnight.
After soaking, pour through sieve and rinse thoroughly. 
Set sieve on top of sprouting container to drain. 
Make sure the sieve holes are small enough so what you're sprouting doesn't fall through. 
Rinse at least twice a day.  
I leave this next to the kitchen sink so when I pass by I give it a rinse. Smell it after each rinse.  
It should smell fresh and "earthy", never moldy.  Discard if moldy or smells yucky.
Sprouts are ready to serve when there are small tails.
Depending on the temperature and what you're sprouting, the sprouts will be ready 
in 24 - 36 hours. Refrigerate unused portion in refrigerator.  
I don't know how long the sprouts will keep.  I feed out within three days.  Experiment with the amounts and make what you can feed out within three days.

For my small birds-finches, parakeets, cockatiels:
I use a parakeet/finch mix. Small yellow millet, white millet, red millet, 
canary grass seed, oats, flax, rape, niger, chinese millet. This generally is 
too small to pick out any broken pieces, but remove any obvious pieces of "junk".
Cover with water.  Soak about 8 hours or overnight.
After soaking, pour through sieve and rinse thoroughly. 
Set sieve on top of sprouting container to drain.
Make sure the sieve holes are small enough so what you're sprouting doesn't fall through.
Rinse at least twice a day.  
I leave this next to the kitchen sink so when I pass by I give it a rinse. Smell it after each rinse.  
It should smell fresh and "earthy", never moldy.  Discard if moldy or smells yucky.
Sprouts are ready to serve when there are small tails.
Depending on the temperature and what you're sprouting, the sprouts will be ready 
in 24 - 36 hours. Refrigerate unused portion in refrigerator.  
I don't know how long the sprouts will keep.  I feed out within three days.  Experiment with the 
amounts and make what you can feed out within three days.

Another great article listing other things you can sprout: Sprouting for Healthier Birds

3 comments:

  1. Hi... i found your Blog yesterday ....and think its fab... loads of usefull ideas..... and the sprouting info is real good ive never had much luck.... im going to try again! do you think the temperature makes much of a difference?

    Thanks for a fab blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daisy-May!
    Glad you like my blog. Yes, temperature makes a huge difference in sprout times and spoilage. In the summer months my indoor temps hit about 100 degrees F and tails are showing on my sprouts pretty much as soon as I rinse after soaking. In the summer I sprout the day before I want to feed. In the winter my indoor temps drop below 60 degrees F. I start my sprouts days before I want to feed in the winter.
    The Land of Vos article I linked to has fantastic detailed info on individual items to sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply Roz ive managed to sprout some.... they had been soaking for several days before i found your info...i did as you say you do but nothing happened so i stuck them in a plant proporgator.....when i was checking out if it was warm enough to use as a brooded..... it wasnt...... but it did help sprout the seeds..!!! i have some more starting now.... and yes my birds liked them :)Thanks again

    ReplyDelete