Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bird Tip - More Independence

Yeah - I'm big on the a lot of out-of-cage time to avoid/eliminate behavior problems. Unfortunately, a lot of people take that to mean the bird needs to be glued to your body which makes problems worse.

Ducky's cage is pretty much open 24/7 with a play stand in front. We do regularly lock him in and do stuff around him when his door's closed so he can practice not screaming while locked up and watching us go about our business. I do this with babies I raise too. They learn that just because I'm in the room they don't necessarily get out and they don't necessarily get attention at the moment. I've been on the phone with people wanting a conure and they're not convinced I have any because I don't have any noise in the background.

So, practice Independence Sessions by locking your bird in its cage several times a week while you go about your business.  In order for this to be successful, your bird's needs must be met first - Exercise or have your bird out for awhile before doing any Independence Sessions.  Put super duper goodies in the cage so cage time and Independence Sessions are things they look forward to.
Also practice this:  Teach Independence

No comments:

Post a Comment